Sunday 5 December 2010

Chapter 1...The Beginning (always helps to start here)!

In August 2009 after months and months of sitting at my desk and dreaming of all the places I would rather be than at work I finally had the guts to do what I needed to do and I quit my job! Before I did this I booked a three month trip to South America leaving October 1st 2009, this would be the start of the rest of my life and the start of my pursuit of happiness! And what can I say, it worked because within three days of landing back in the UK on December 30th 2009 I had booked my next three month trip to South East Asia leaving in April 2010! This would give me enough time to save for the trip and catch up with friends and family before I embarked on my next adventure! I had well and truly caught the bug...the travel bug!


At the same time as booking my second travel trip I thought about all the different places and people I had experienced in South America and how fortunate I was to be able to jet off to these exotic places. At that moment I realised I had to do much more with my time and money than spend it travelling around the World, witnessing hardship and pain but doing nothing about it! This is when I started researching volunteer opportunities overseas, a way to kill two birds with one stone - I could be overseas, immersed in a new country and culture to explore while helping others and in return being rewarded with a sense of fulfilment I had not felt in a long time! So this was the new plan and when I found VSO's Voluntary Services Overseas website I realised this was the organisation I wanted to do it all through...

No comments:

Post a Comment