Thursday 3 February 2011

Chapter 12...The SKWID!

Me being me I decided to fly back from Cambodia on Wednesday last week and on the Friday morning drive up to Birmingham for 4 days of VSO training! What was I thinking?! The training was HSW - Health and Safety Workshop followed by SKWID - Skills for Working in Development. They were both highly interesting and for me very beneficial, although I think I was the only person to feel this way! I was able to use my past travel experiences as examples of where I did and didn't do things right in another culture and establish how I should be while in Ghana!

Our group of 18 volunteers all got on really well, although two clear groups were formed - 'the club' and 'the young ones!' On the Saturday night I got dragged kicking, screaming and moaning about the cold into Birmingham town centre for a night out! I was force-fed alcohol, without spending a single penny, but decided my bed was calling once the shots came out! Who said volunteers were sensible and boring?! On the Sunday we ended up in the bar at Harborne Hall and afterwards decided to raid the kitchen for flapjacks, because a few of us were hungry! I wonder if these are the skills VSO are hoping for us to share on our placements?! A lesson to be learnt!

No comments:

Post a Comment