Tuesday 22 February 2011

Chapter 18...The first day and night in my new home!

Following the bus journey from hell the four of us quickly showered and got changed then went for lunch with some of the other volunteers here in Bolgatanga! We sat outside in the garden of Comme Ci, Comme Ca (a local hotel) eating, drinking and getting to know one-another, which was really lovely!



Rachel then bought me home on her moto for my first night in my new home! I am living with Rachel who is Scottish; 27 and 18 months through a 2 year placement (she wants to extend) and Vic who is English; 32 and leaving for home in May after two and a half years here in sunny Ghana! Oh and of course I can't forget the fourth and most important housemate...Layla (Vic and Lewis' kitten, who is just SO cute)! 

I have been told on several occasions that I am extremely lucky to have been put in this house because the girls are both lovely, very sociable and very knowledgable on Ghana! Plus we have all the amenities a volunteer could ask for – electricity (most of the time), a night watchman - Godwin, mains water and a polytank for when there is no water, an oven, a toaster and a blender! Could a girl ask for more eh?! So I have  been treated to food delights such as toast and groundnut paste (basically peanut butter) for breakfast as well as amazing meals of pesto pasta, fish casserole and rice and tonight is a ratatouille style dish! As I have no means to buy food yet I have been treated to all these yummy meals, but come the end of the week the girls will have to be treated to my cooking (uh oh I hear you all cry)! Apparently we also sometimes bake flapjack, shortbread, banoffee pie, pizza and flatbread :-)

So anyway enough on the food (has anyone else noticed that I talk an awful lot about the food in Ghana?!) The house, let me tell you about the house...it has three bedrooms (one en-suite, which Vic snapped up a couple of years ago), a large living room area where we also keep the motos, a kitchen and larder, toilet with seperate bathroom and a random area that Rach uses for her schools resources! 

The front gates to our house (taken from the inside)
The front of the house (the wooden doors with the reindeer on are the front entrance)! My bedroom window is the first one on the left!
The view over our compound wall looking into the fields behind our house :-)

 And my bedroom itself looked a little bit like this when I arrived on Sunday...



And now, before even going shopping for pretty little things, it looks like this...


 
Right I think that is enough for now...my next blog post will hopefully tell you a bit about my first week at work and some more about Bolga itself! I can tell you’re all looking forward to it already!

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, just seen photos of us and the trolls on your wardrobe! So strange seeing them there! Nice work on the bedroom, I'm sure it'll be even cosier when you have more bits to decorate it with! How are you finding your new pad? Feeling settled in? Thinking about you lots xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course there would be photos of the Trolls up, all the important people are here with me :-)
    Last week was food shopping so hopefully this week and next I can do some pretty little things shopping!
    Feeling very settled indeed, which is good! It helps living with two very sociable housemates who have been living here already for 18 months so it feels like a proper home!
    Thinking about you too...!
    Loves forever
    Mwah!
    xx
    P.S. Will reply to emails asap...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are lucky to be living with the lovely and sociable vic! Just keep her in check for me.. i know what she's like after a couple of vodkas!

    Have enjoyed reading your stories whilst up in the night with the baby!

    Love Creena (Vic's friend from home)

    ReplyDelete