Thursday 3 February 2011

Chapter 13...The Motorcycle Training!

So...SKWID done, next was Motorcycle Training, which again I had very cleverly booked in for Tuesday morning at 9am! No rest for the wicked! 

I arrived at Motorcycle Pitstop feeling really nervous, but mostly tired! I thought there would be a group of people all being trained together over the next 3 days and we would spend the first day learning about the bike and watching horrific DVD's about motorcycle accidents! Well there were no DVD's and only about 15 minutes spent checking BOLTS - Brakes, Oil, Lights, Tyres, Suspension! Next it was on the back of the bike for a ride to an open area where I would then be 'giving it a go'...sorry what?! Yes I would be riding the bike on my own on day one!

My biggest fear previously on bikes had been the kickstart or the jerk forward you get with too much throttle and brakes! But there was no time to think about that, I was off... and to my surprise I was actually quite good :-) Before I knew it I was doing figures of 8, U-turns and emergency stops, and all before lunch! My instructor kept telling me I was a natural and one of the best VSO people they'd trained, I thought 'yeah right you must say this to everyone!' Then they announced we would be going for a ride on the road, the real road with cars, lorries, pedestrians and DANGER!!! Panic kicked in, but me being me, I once again 'manned-up' and got on with it, and again really enjoyed myself! We mastered roundabouts, traffic lights, junctions...everything I needed to pass the course, so on day one I passed, on day two we went for a ride into one of the other towns for a cup of coffee and on day three I finally had a lie-in, watched 'This Morning', wrote my blog and chilled out at home!

This isn't the bike I learnt on, but a 500cc instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment