Tuesday 24 May 2011

Chapter 44...The reason I'm here!

Recently there has been a small miracle in Ghana - I have actually started to slowly make some progress at work (I know can you believe it?!) Now this progress has been very small indeed, but in Ghana, and especially at the GES any progress at all is considered a great achievement (in my eyes anyway)! This week I have... 

...met with two people (there should have been six) from my newly formed CPTeam (Community Participation Team) and we have put some dates in the diary to meet to set baselines for PTA's and SMC's and to plan a week of refresher workshops for some or all PTA's and SMC's in Talensi Nabdam district. 
...helped a newly appointed colleague to type up a 21 page report on a school he recently visited to assess.
...attended the districts Educon (Education Conference) at Gbeogo School for the Deaf. This is where the GES is given the opportunity to share some facts and figures on how schooling and education is working out in Talensi Nabdam with their schools, communities, chiefs and elders. 
One of the paramount Chiefs in Talensi Nabdam!
Some local school boys providing some music and dancing entertainment! It seems they forgot to get changed out of their pyjamas in the morning though (I know this is such a daddyo joke, but I couldn't help it)!
Some school girls from my local school 'St Martins' who put on a flip-flop dance for the top table!
Me with one of the girls from the school who loved my camera and teaching me sign language!
...finally (only six weeks late) held my JIM (Joint Introductory Meeting) with VSO, GES and LCD (Link Community Development)! There should have been around 20-25 people at my JIM, all there to discuss me and my plans for the rest of my time in Ghana! However instead of the expected 25, we started with five and eventually grew to a respectable group size of eight! I myself was two hours late so I could not be annoyed with others for not showing up at all! The reason for this was the rain, which I have now discovered puts a holt to life entirely when it comes during the day! We have mainly had evening and night storms so far, which haven't effected moto riding, but when the rains come during the day being on a moto on a dirt track road is not the wisest of moves so most people do not travel around until the rain has stopped! The day of my JIM it rained from 08:30 to 11:00, which meant a morning of finishing my book, another one I would highly recommend - 'Don't Lets Go To The Dogs Tonight.'
...facilitated the first of three days of Girl Child Training at Pelungu Primary School! This was a great opportunity to work with two of the officers from GES - Stephen and Daniel - who did really well running the majority of activities on the day! 
Stephen and Daniel running the show at Pelungu Primary!
I ended the day feeling extremely proud of the work they did and totally pumped for the rest of our training! Thursday will consist of the second day, but luckily between now and then we have tomorrow off, as it is African Union Day so weather permitting there may be some pot painting at Sirigu as entertainment for the day...!

5 comments:

  1. This might seem to be quite an uneducated question; but why do all the girls have shaved heads? is it purely because of the heat, or are there other reasons? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say that was an uneducated question, it's not really the kind of thing one would know if they don't know an African or haven't been to Africa! It is simply because their hair doesn't grow any longer! Many older women will wear a wig or have braids put in and some have even said they will cut off my hair to attach to theirs, ha! They totally love my hair, especially because it's so thick and long at the moment! Although one woman at the office did say the other day that she thought my hair was a wig until she saw me wear it down one day, that made me laugh! I did think how much cooler it must be to have a shaved head and for a split second considered it, but then thought wisely about what my head would look like shaved, ha!
    Anyway that's probably the World's longest answer to a short simple question!
    How's Minnie doing? Hope she's still in one piece!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't actually driven her yet! I'm working so much at the moment haven't really done much of anything :( Took me a while to work out who minnie was, at first I thought, maybe you don't realise who I am!

    That makes sense, I think you should shave your head, would be interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, if you get bored, and want something to read to see what i'm up to:

    tydemoo.blogspot.com is the new me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god that cracked me up, especially the part about you being at Uni since you were a fetus, which is so very true! So you've finally finished...I never thought that day would come!

    Nice photo as well, although you look HUGE, is that muscle or fat? Is it a recent photo? Taken at the kitchen table yeah?!

    Going to write a post about my weekend later, think you'll like it...especially the part where I shaved my head!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete