Saturday 14 May 2011

Chapter 41...The three month Ghanaversary!

My three month (can you believe it, time is flying by)  Ghanaversary  post feels like a miscellaneous one, tying up all the lose ends from a dramatic week in Ghana! The week started brilliantly after a perfectly well spent weekend and has finished on a similar note too, but just with a little Ghanaian craziness inbetween! I have...
 
...had a broken down moto, done my first ever (unintentional) wheelie down the busiest street in Bolga and ran out of petrol on my way home with no money in my purse! 
...managed to form a Community Participation Team at work who went for drinks and meat on Wednesday night to do some strategic planning! 
...started and finished the book 'Gogo Mama,' which has been added to my highly recommended book collection alongside 'The Alchemist' 'The Kite Runner' 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and 'The Girl with...'
...been reduced to tears while reading the twelve real-life stories of hardship and pain experienced by twelve African women and I've been inspired beyond belief to make a change!
...got used to a house of two and not three following Vic (and Lewis') departure to the UK! 
...loaned our night watchman (against my better judgement) fifty GHC to buy seeds for farming season and then ridden my bike right past his head at 11pm and he has not stirred due to too much alcohol consumption! 
...been for drinks at Comme Ci, Comme Ca with one of the EWB's and his 'buddy!'
...picked (taken on my moto) with a wobbly start, one of the EWB's to watch the royal wedding (on DVD) at the blue house, past the blue spot in Kumbosgo!
...been to Gbeogo school for the deaf and started to learn small small Ghanaian sign language! This is where I met an 11/12/13 (true age is rarely known in Ghana) year old girl who was battered and left for dead as a baby by her parents who thought she was a witch! 
...watched the rainy season descend on Ghana in the form of magnificent lightning and rain storms and thought the tin roof of the house would cave in from the hammering of hailstones, or it would come off from the wind whipping it up Wizard of Oz style!
...seen how the grass is sometimes greener on the otherside, as the landscape is changing and growing before my eyes! 
...been touched by the kindness of Ghanaians, including those who once frustrated and angered me in the office, who too have their own story to tell!

And as of today this is the longest I've spent away from home and away from my nearest and dearest! It is the longest time I have spent living in one place other than home, and it is pretty cool (well very hot actually) that that place is sub-saharan Africa! It is also the same amount of time, plus two weeks until I see my family again for yet another airport reunion, this time swapping London Heathrow for the likes of Nairobi International. Am I counting down the days and am I ready to burst with excitement...hell yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment