Monday 11 April 2011

Chapter 34...The story of Boy F

This blog post takes us back to Tengzug festival and tells the story of Boy F...

Boy F has a name and a father. Boy F has no mother, no siblings, no education and no age. Boy F looks around fifteen years old. Boy F has a physical condition similar to cerebal palsy and suffers from fits similar to epilepsy. Boy F's condition has not been diagnosed. Boy F can speak his local language. Boy F was found roaming around the local Primary School. Boy F was wearing a pair of rag shorts, no top and no shoes. Boy F had dust filled hair and the teeth he had were rotting and yellow. Boy F was left to fend for himself...

I entered Boy F's life three weeks ago when I was taken to the Primary School to meet him.  Boy F told us he wanted food, sandals, a school uniform and an education. Boy F wanted to fit in with his peers and to lead a 'normal' life...

I saw Boy F at Tengzug festival. Boy F was in a small compound house the size of most people's kitchen table and the heat of an oven. Boy F had his legs tied together. Boy F had clearly had his wrists tied together too. Boy F had a split lip. Boy F was dazed and confused...had Boy F been beaten? Boy F had had a fit. Boy F had fallen and cut his lip. Boy F's father had tied him to stop the fitting. No-one in Boy F's life knew what to do with Boy F...

Could I help Boy F? Should Boy F be taken to a doctor, should he be diagnosed, should he be treated? Who will pay for Boy F's treatment? How will Boy F get to hospital in Bolga? What will happen to Boy F when VSO leaves? Should Boy F be left to live his life in his community without intervention from VSO and others? Should Boy F's community be sensitised to the issue of Boy F's disability? Should Boy F be sent to school with his peers despite the fact there are no qualified teachers to assist him? The questions continue...!

A week later Boy F had a shaved head. Boy F had a school uniform. Boy F had sandals. Boy F had a school book and pencil. Boy F was sat in a primary class drawing lines. Boy F did not understand, but Boy F was smiling.

Jackson the Headteacher, Boy F and me!
Last week Boy F was taken to see a doctor at Bolgatanga Regional Hospital, the doctor wanted to test Boy F for malaria. Boy F's condition is not malaria. There were no disability doctors at the hospital. There was no-one who could help to diagnose Boy F's condition. What happens next to Boy F...

Boy F has so far taught me...to try not to jump to conclusions, that everyone deserves basic human rights, more about the Ghanaian way of life, to be grateful for what I have got and that I can give so much through doing so little during my lifetime...

2 comments:

  1. This is a really moving post, very eyeopening to how different our world and theirs (and currently yours!) is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you found the post moving, imagine how moving it is to live it! The human mind astonishes me so much - I can be so moved and in tears over this boy one minute then something else happens and he's out of my mind for a while, but then he slowly creeps back in and I feel my heart sink with pain! It worries me already that I will forget all these things when I come back to the 'real' World!
    Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed it and you found it eye-opening! What with that and the girl issues out here it's pretty intense, but hopefully I can make a change and the experience will stay with me for life!
    You good yeah? Not heard from you in a while, send me an update email...
    Han
    xx

    ReplyDelete