Monday 10 October 2011

Chapter 67...The first ever giving of thanks

I'm riding down the Bolga-Tamale road at 80km/h releasing a high pitched scream from my lungs as I go. The road ahead is empty and my wing mirrors show it is the same behind, no-one can hear my squeals or see my smile. The breeze is absorbing the sweat from my face and flapping my jacket around my back, giving a look and feel of a Superman cape, which only adds to my excitement and feeling of glee.  Tongo hills are jutting out from the otherwise vast flatness that is the landscape, and are occupying my left eye, while my right is keeping a close watch out for the white sign with blue writing on that I have been told is my destination... At times like this could life really get any better!

Well apparently the answer is yes, as I was invited to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving soaking up the sheer warmth and energy of around 20+ EWB's. This is a group of people that I have slowly become absorbed by in recent months, as each time I meet them I am greeted with love and sincerity. They are a unit, a whole that oozes optimism, fun and purpose. Their drive for change is commendable, as is the way their organisation operates. 

In recent months it has been a struggle to recognise the many flaws in the organisation I am working for and at the same time acknowledge the desire in me for organisational qualities like the ones I see in EWB. VSO's lack of unity, lack of motivation, lack of development and progression have made some days grey and others turbulent thunderstorms. But in the past week freedom has been found, as the sun beams, the birds humm and  the mosquitoes buzz grows faint. VSO have taught me what I do not want from an organisation - one I work for, or even my own, whilst EWB have taught me that even while budgets are tight and times are hard, a solid unit is always key! Now nothing is ever perfect and you may think that these people were hand built by robots with an 'eternal optimism' default mechanism built in. Obviously every unit has it's anomalies of sub-units and negativity, for some reason though with this unit, it still feels whole, it still feels complete.

So at the dinner table last night I found myself surrounded by plenty of people - some fresh faces to my darting, inquisitive eyes, others familiar, safe and known. The meat was tender, the mashed potato smooth, the stuffing spot on and the houmous just like home, and of course the beer was flowing! As I sat during the poetry slam that followed and listened to the voice of the one EWB I recognise, understand and love the most, my head and heart were open to my new beginning. A re-discovery of myself, the person I want to be and the people I want to surround myself with.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment