Monday 14 March 2011

Chapter 27...The one month Ghanaversary!

This weekend was my one month Ghanaversary (how time flies) and to celebrate I decided to have a jam-packed weekend full of new and exciting Ghanaian things!

Saturday consisted of... 
  • A morning trip to the three day market where I stocked up on food and drink , as well as some Ghanaian material so I can get some pretty things made!
  • An afternoon with Hannah (1) spent at Kumbosgo festival, where we attempted to steal the show from the big man himself by being the only non-Ghanaians there!

Wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang...the festival cloth!

  • A late night leaving party at J&J’s (Jillian and Jason) house before they depart from Bolga this coming weekend! 



Sunday was less busy, but just as good with...
  • A chilled morning at the house eating porridge to recover from the late night before! 
  • A heavenly afternoon trip to Vea Dam where there was a gorgeous breeze, endless water, beautiful views and sunset at a spot with a Star beer! 




I was asked by a friend on my one month Ghanaversary when I was in my sentimental/reflective ‘I’ve been away for one month’ mood whether I am happy, and after a few seconds thought, I realised that yes I am very happy with my life here in Ghana and the decision I made 14 months ago to apply to VSO! Obviously it has been a turbulent first month with lots of highs and a few lows, but I can honestly say that those lows (even though I wish they hadn’t happened) are only working to make me stronger and more determined to do the things in life that make me happy, because after all in the grand scheme of it, it is so short!

I am in such a fortunate (mainly in thanks to my loving and supportive parents who let me live at home rent free for the past few years) and undeserved position to be able to leave my life at home and fly out to Ghana to help others who will probably never have the opportunity to leave their village or town, let alone country! I have found myself asking the same question over and over again for the past year and a half since I left to go travelling...what exactly did I do/have I done to deserve the amazing happiness and life I have been dealt?! And I realise every time that the answer is ‘absolutely nothing’ because to me it is just pure luck! I could have been dealt any number of cards, which meant I was one of the people here in Ghana who I have been sent here by VSO to help, but for whatever reasons I wasn’t!

So now I need to remember that although everything is relative, I need to moan less about the small, insignificant things in my life and man-up enough to focus on all the positives! Now I know this sounds like I have been sat here depressed for the past month, but rest-assured this is definitely not the case, all I mean is that when we have ‘lights-out’ (no electricity) from 6am to 6pm three days in a row I need to realise that this is a year of my life that I have this for, and for others this is their life!

And on that happy note I shall leave you with some food for thought I hope, until next time my loyal readers...!   

No comments:

Post a Comment