Thursday 3 March 2011

Chapter 22...The GES (Ghana Education Service) Office!

My office...well firstly what a location! I am based in Tongo, which is in the Talensi Nabdam district and famous for it’s hills (no not LC, Whitney, Audrina etc), but it’s beautiful rock formations and hillsides that stretch for miles and miles!

The building in this photo is the home of the male AND female urinals at work! I am yet to experience this!


The office is around a 40 minute bike ride from Kumbosgo where I live on the outskirts of Bolga! Until I get my bike, which should be sometime in April when I am acclimatised and used to the roads, I will be getting driven to and from work by Dominic who is the GES 4x4 driver! The roads vary a lot from tarmacced and speed-bumped to dust tracks full of potholes so the 4x4 is most welcome!

The office itself is currently located in part of the local primary school, St Martins/Waaki so the few days I have been in I have been highly enteratined by the children outside and their huge interest in another volunteer working in the office!!Currently there are four other volunteers at the GES– Alice who is an MSO (Management Support Officer), Christina who is a TSO (Teacher Support Officer), Damien who is working on gender in education and Barry who is a STV (Short-Term-Volunteer) working with head teachers!

The Office!


As I attended the VSO review meeting last Tuesday I got to meet and greet most people there, except for the big man himself...the Director who apparently boycotted the meeting due to the short notice he was given about it! This already told me a little something about him making me a little anxious about my first meeting with him, but it went well! He was very friendly and stopped what he was doing with another colleague to sit down with me and ask what role I was here to do (slightly concerning he didn’t know already) and to give me his support in everything I needed to do! We shall see how this relationship pans out in the future, but on first impressions I should be able to wrap-him-around-my-little-finger! 

So all-in-all I am very much looking forward to working with everyone at the GES and seeing what plans I can come up for the next 11 months...!

No comments:

Post a Comment