Monday 22 August 2011

Chapter 65...The 'daily' commute!

As you can imagine my 'daily' commute in Ghana is ever-so-slightly different to my previous commutes to work - two hours door-to-door down to London often on over-crowded, slow trains and tubes or 45 minutes cruising up the M11 praying for no delays, as I was always running late anyway! Instead I ride my moto (on the days it's not got a flat tyre or I haven't dropped it and broken the clutch handle off again or it's not raining) down the 'back road' to Tongo. 
I am the only volunteer to take this route, which has turned it into my own special and private oasis in Ghana where I lose myself in my thoughts every day! The road is pot-holed, dust filled and has a suicidal chicken that runs into my tyre at least once a week, but it is my road where I see the same smiling faces and waves of hello. I know the exact swerves to make to avoid the bumps and holes that give me all the flat-tyres and I know exactly where I'll see people at different times of the day. The road and the people feel like they are mine! I pick people on my moto if they are heading in the same direction and sometimes we talk, sometimes we don't. Some days I will be completely caught up in my own World of problems and issues I am working through so I ride the forty minutes head down with a stern look on my face. Others my mind will be clear and I will be squealing and smiling to myself the whole way! Either mood the people on my route seem to be able to sense it before I have even arrived by their side, a flash of red bike passing through their lives. They will greet according to me, and they never seem to be phased by the days when I am so caught up in myself that I forget to answer their shouts or flash them a smile from my helmet, and that is fine!  
These guys nearly always have some meat hanging above their heads where they sit.
They then smoke it up and chop it for lunch or dinner.
But I am not a part of peoples lives and they are not a part of mine! Speed and movement allow this and I am thankful for that, because I enjoy the element of distance and unknown it creates! I do not think of all the bad things I am forced to think of through work - corruption, harassment, corporal punishment - I think of the people, just the pure people that I see on the surface...
Before the rainy season, this piece of land was completely bare and dry. I could see the compound and all the people sat outside. Now we are in the rainy season I cannot see anyone beyond the field.
How children in Ghana spend their 'summer' holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment